Friday, January 18, 2013

Staying in Control When Drinking

If you drink, it is vital to work out how many units you are having so that you can keep within sensible limits. For a couple of weeks, at the end of each day, make a note of what you drank and count up the units.You could also keep track using a computer or a smart phone app. If you would like help, you could also speak to your GP or practice nurse, or contact some of the organizations listed at the end of this fact sheet.
  • Set yourself a daily alcohol limit and stick to it.  
  • Work out when you do most of your drinking and see if there are obvious times when you can cut back (such as the ‘quick drink’ after work). 
  • Tell your family and friends you’re cutting down – they may be more supportive than you’d expect.
  • Don’t drink on an empty stomach. Have a good meal before you go out, or limit your drinking to mealtimes only. Drinking with food slows the rate of absorption of the alcohol into your bloodstream, and should help you to get a better night’s sleep.
  • Top up the water before the wine glasses.  
  • If you’re out drinking in a group, avoid buying rounds, as this can encourage you to drink more alcohol more quickly. Go to a place that serves food, as eating will slow down the effects of alcohol. 
  • Experiment with flavours – use slices of fruit to add extra zing or try non-alcoholic versions of your usual drinks. There are plenty of fruit drinks and alcohol-free wines and beers on the market.
  • Suggest an alcohol-free outing with your friends instead of meeting for a drink – there are plenty of alternatives, from visiting a place of interest to going to the cinema, and they will not necessarily cost any more than going to the pub.
  • If you’re drinking at home, try not to pour larger drinks than you would get if you were drinking in a pub or restaurant.  
  • Serve spritzers and other mixed drinks at home that can be made in lower alcohol versions, like cocktails or fruit punch.
  • Keep a range of non-alcoholic drinks that you like at home, or try making smoothies and non-alcoholic cocktails.
  • Have regular alcohol-free days to avoid becoming dependent on drink.  
  • If you need to relax, try some less harmful ways to manage your stress like soaking in a warm bath or shower, having a massage or talking to a trusted friend.
  • Depression is often associated with alcohol use, and should improve as you start to drink less. Depression is also common after a stroke.

6 comments:

  1. It's good to drink less alcohol will make your life more better.
    Emergency Room Houston

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello everyone, i'm Linda Harry from United State i was diagnosed with Parkinson Disease  for over 6 years which made me loose my job and my relationship with my Fiance after he discovered that i was having Parkinson, he departed from me, and i tried all my best to make him stays, but he neglected me until a friend of mine  from UK told me Great healer, who will restore my life back with his powerful healing herbal medicine. then he  sent me his email address to contact him- drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. and i quickly contacted him, and he said my condition can be solved, that he will treat the disease immediately only if i can accept trust on him and accept his terms and condition, i Agreed because i was so much in need of help by all means, so i did all he instructed me to do. And surprisingly after two weeks, He sent me a text, that i should hurry up to the hospital for a checkup, which i truly did, i confirm from my doctor that i am now ( PARKINSON NEGATIVE) my eyes filled with tears and joy, crying heavily because truly the disease deprived me of many things from my life, This is a Miracle, dr imoloa also uses his powerful herbal medicine to cure the following diseases:  lupus disease,  mouth ulcer,  mouth cancer, body pain, fever, hepatitis A.B.C.,   syphilis,  diarrhea,  HIV/AIDS,  Huntington's Disease,   back acne,  Chronic renal failure,   addison disease,  Chronic Pain,   Crohn's Disease,   Cystic Fibrosis,  Fibromyalgia,   Inflammatory Bowel Disease,  fungal nail disease, Lyme Disease, Celia disease, Lymphoma, Major Depression,  Malignant Melanoma,   Mania,  Melorheostosis,   Meniere's Disease,  Mucopolysaccharidosis , Multiple Sclerosis,  Muscular Dystrophy,  Rheumatoid Arthritis, Alzheimer's Disease, parkison disease, vaginal cancer, epilepsy,  Anxiety Disorders, Autoimmune Disease,   Back Pain,  Back Sprain,   Bipolar Disorder,  Brain Tumour,  Malignant,   Bruxism, Bulimia,  Cervical Disk Disease, cardiovascular disease, Neoplasms, chronic respiratory disease,  mental and behavioural disorder,     Cystic Fibrosis,   Hypertension, Diabetes, asthma,  Inflammatory autoimmune-mediated arthritis.  chronic kidney disease, inflammatory joint disease,  impotence,  feta alcohol spectrum,  Dysthymic Disorder,   Eczema, tuberculosis,  Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, constipation, inflammatory bowel disease, bone cancer, lung cancer. contact him on email- drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. and also on whatssap- +2347081986098

    ReplyDelete
  3. My symptoms started at the age of 47. My fingers on my left hand were stiff and were difficult to move. People noticed that my walk was not normal. I was often asked did I hurt.I noticed nothing different about my walk. It was difficult getting up from a chair and getting out of a car. I was diagnosed a year later, it was the onset of tremors starting in my right hand that caused my other symptoms to be recognized as Parkinson's.I am now 59. With the new herbal medicine i purchase from totalcureherbalfoundation.blogspot.com was my only way to get fast relief from this PD,their herbal supplement effectively reverse my Parkinson's disease condition and alleviate all my symptoms. 

    ReplyDelete
  4. A big thanks to Dr James for reserving my ALS disease with his effective herbal formula. I was diagnosed of ALS disease 5 months ago of all the horrible experience, I was bitterly in pains. My symptoms progressed so fast that I couldn't eat proper, walk, work, breath well, it was my worse part of life then. On this fateful day, I came across a post just like this concerning a patient who used Dr James herbal medicine herbal formula to reserve her ALS disease for over 4 years now. I was skeptical about it but I had no choice than to also contact this dr James I visited his blog site and made my orders. To cut it short, I used the herbal formula for six weeks as instructed and today makes it 7 months without no symptoms. I am also making my testimony about this miraculous did. I have been given 3 years ALS disease reserved guarantee after which i will make another purchase for another 3 years span again. Thank you very much dr James. For those who needs help, you can reach him via email on jamesherbalformula@gmail.com or WhatsApp number: +2348102574680 . Let's share this and help everyone. Don't judge until you give it a try

    ReplyDelete
  5. A big thanks to Dr James for reserving my ALS disease with his effective herbal formula. I was diagnosed of ALS disease 5 months ago of all the horrible experience, I was bitterly in pains. My symptoms progressed so fast that I couldn't eat proper, walk, work, breath well, it was my worse part of life then. On this fateful day, I came across a post just like this concerning a patient who used Dr James herbal medicine herbal formula to reserve her ALS disease for over 4 years now. I was skeptical about it but I had no choice than to also contact this dr James I visited his blog site and made my orders. To cut it short, I used the herbal formula for six weeks as instructed and today makes it 7 months without no symptoms. I am also making my testimony about this miraculous did. I have been given 3 years ALS disease reserved guarantee after which i will make another purchase for another 3 years span again. Thank you very much dr James. For those who needs help, you can reach him via email on jamesherbalformula@gmail.com or WhatsApp number: +2348102574680 . Let's share this and help everyone. Don't judge until you give it a try

    ReplyDelete

  6. I am here to express my deep and warm gratitude to herbal medicine, which I obtained from Dr. Patrick. Now I am living a healthy life since last 6 months. I am now free of genital herpes virus after the herbal medication I received from him. You can contact him to get your medicine through his email: drpatrickspelltample2001@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete